jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) - Katie McGarry,  MacLeod Andrews,  Tara Sands Wow, talk about a surprise. I was expecting a lighthearted high school romance. Instead, this book is a study in teenagers dealing with real life.

The synopsis gives you a brief overview of Echo and Noah's situations. But while typically in this sort of novel it only serves as a backdrop, here it is the crux of the story. There is the romance, sure. But deeper than that are two kids trying to see their way through high school, friends, their ideal views of the way the world is in fairytales, and then confronting the reality of life with courage.

I liked both characters. Neither one was cliche, although I have to say that some of the (romantic) dialogue was. They were honest, confused, self-absorbed and starry-eyed. They were real teenagers. This was refreshing.

The ending provided closure on every front. So many times the situations are left open - and one situation was left open that should have been. It was appropriate for a young adult book.

The narration on this audiobook was great. Tara Sands is stellar as always, and MacLeod Andrews was even better. That soft voice he gave Noah was heart-tingling.

This book brought tears to my eyes, something I never expected at all. It's deeper and richer than your normal fluff romance. How refreshing.