jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
The Passage - Justin Cronin I am not a vampire-book lover. I haven't read the Twilight series because I honestly just don't care. I'm not a fan of Anne Rice either. Vampires are just not my thing - not interested. I actually picked this book up at a Cracker Barrel, on audio because it was narrated by Edward Hermann, my favorite narrator. I had a 10-hour drive, was alone and needed some company. The book was so good that I got an unabridged version of it from the library, and listened to that on the return trip.

Vampires? Nah. This book is radically different. I never would have picked it up had I known it was a "vampire" book. It couldn't be further from that genre. This is the kind of science fiction that Stephen King has done (i.e., The Stand) so alling it a "vampire book" does it a huge injustice. This is that wonderful kind of sci-fi that starts from a classic bad-government-guys-with-too-much-power-create-experiments-gone-wrong premise, The only link to vampires that I saw was that they are photophobic and they feed on their victims. Actually, they're more like a combination of vampires and zombies, since they actually eat their victims. They're green and glow and live in trees. They're just, well, monsters.

I lived with these characters for a long time, because it's a long book. And I loved each one. I never got tired of the story. The ending left me hanging -- I'd been with them so long that I wanted to know what happened next. I think Peter was my favorite, with his honest and sensitive view of the world. I loved Amy too. Talk about PTSD. And who couldn't love Sister Lacey?

I can't wait for "The Twelve," which is the second in the series. Just hearing that it's a 3-book series has me jumping up and down. Read this book. You will not be disappointed.