jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
Faking It  - Cora Carmack, Emma Galvin & Dan Bittner I loved this book. I love Cora Carmack and the way she writes. Add to that the narration by Emma Galvin and Dan Bittner and you have an Oscar-worthy combination.

(what is the literary equivalent of an Oscar, anyway?)

Max and Cade were delightful. The chemistry and "steam" were just right, and I say this because so many authors do it badly. When you frame those scenes against a well-defined backdrop of clearly drawn characters, it is appropriate and just wonderful. I especially loved the scene outside the club.

This book made me laugh out loud so many times - and even at that, it addressed some serious issues of acceptance and loss. The whole thing flowed well and was entirely believable. I know there's a "formula" for these sorts of books; boy meets girl, opposites attract, they get together, some emotional flaw draws them apart, they realise they feel something approaching love, great ending. But who cares when it's so entertaining?

I didn't like the ending so much in this case. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad at all and wrapped things up nicely. I just would have preferred another sort of scene. As it was, it was fine and actually probably the best for the people that the characters were.

I got through the audio book in a day, about 8 hours of narration. I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait to get more of Carmack's writing, because I love the way she picks up the next book with a secondary character. It was wonderful.