jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
Ice Country (The Country Saga, #2) - David Estes Action, action, action. You want action? This book has action. It's a fun read, lighter than most deep dark serious dystopians. A younger-ish audience will eat this up. It's a fantastic comic book adventure.

This is probably because the main character, Dazz, is such a troublemaker. Or, because trouble seems to be attracted to him. There are fight scenes and bar brawls and guys defending themselves and people breaking out of prison and all out general ass kicking. This is, for lack of a better term, definitely a boy's book.

There is a bit of romance, but it seems to come out of nowhere and I didn't feel it was necessary to the story. It does tie the first and second books together, but beyond that, it was just extra. I didn't really believe it; for some reason I just couldn't picture the two characters together - she was too tall and too tough, and he was kind of a dumb lumberjack type.

The plot is great. There's a lot of intrigue, twisting around, and things are generally really hard to figure out. A plot is good when it surprises you, and this one did that. Add to that all the action and you have a great story.

I'm not sure if it's a signature of David Estes or simply contained within this series, but I didn't care for the vernacular. All the cussing is native to the area, so I inadvertently kept trying to match it up in my head with the actual word commonly used. It was distracting. Also, there were times that the characters would be speaking and they'd slip out of their normal voice. I noticed it when Wes was describing something; although he was speaking, it was as if it had been written in third person. He would never have used those words because he wouldn't have spoken that way. So, some of the dialogue bugged me.

While I liked this installment well enough, I liked the first book much better. I'm looking forward to the last book in this series to tie it all up.