jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
Die for Me - Amy Plum When I initially read the synopsis for this story, I thought it would go a completely different direction. I was pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be somewhat of a redemption story, perhaps involving angels. It isn't that at all. It's much more involved - and entertaining - than that.

The setting is Paris, and who doesn't want to go to Paris? I wish we had cafes here in the US which were 1-walking distance and 2-where you can read for as long as you like. If only Starbucks were that way. It also offered a teenager who goes to school, is expected to be responsible, get good grades, and behave. Her grief is well handled. Her sister seems to have a bit too much freedom but didn't seem completely out of character for a young adult in Europe.

The plot was really interesting. The idea that these characters have a central base from which they operate and the list of characters themselves was so fascinating. Calling them undead or zombies was a misnomer in my opinion. I would peg them instead as guardian angels, even though I hold fast to the idea that humans are humans and angels are angels - one doesn't turn into the other after death. It's like two different races.

The characters were well developed and rich. Kate and Vincent are wonderful together. I have a problem with Kate's attitude toward him at the beginning, though. I can see where Plum was going with it, but I think it could have been handled better. Vincent's behaviour didn't seem to warrant Kate's initial response to him.

Their relationship develops nicely. it happens slowly and appropriately. And the response of the group Vincent is with is also appropriate and well handled. The way Kate finds out about them seems a bit contrived - how could these stealth fighters not realise she was watching them? Really? But it served its purpose and wasn't completely out of the realm of believability.

I really like Julia Whelan as a narrator, and she does a good job with the accents in this story. It's hard to get that French accent right. She does a better than passable job with it.

I'm looking forward to continuing on with this series. I think it can only get more interesting as it goes.