jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
Across the Universe [With Earbuds] (Playaway Young Adult) - Beth Revis Wow. There is a LOT going on in this book. Murder mystery, all the trappings of the sci-fi-in-space-how-can-we-cope, the certain PTSD of a teenager faced with impossible situations, young romance, tyrannical ruler is brainwashing everyone -- it's a virtual plethora of young adult themes.

I did like it very much, although I think it probably covered way too much stuff for one plot line - for several plot lines, for that matter! Even as I say that, though, I have to admit that it did keep things very interesting. The way Revis has voiced the characters was a great way to tell the story. I felt that I got a much better sense of Amy and Elder's perspectives rather than if the story had been told in third person.

I have to say, for all the layers of the story, Revis did a pretty fair job of peeling them back without overwhelming me. The big scene near the end was a tiny bit cliche, with all the bad guys and maniacal laughter of the evil lunatics. But none of it was unconnected due to a lack of character development, and while entertaining, none of it was unexpected. Rather than being a let down, it was a well-drawn conclusion to the problems presented.

I liked these characters. I'm interested to see what happens in the two sequels. If Revis can pack this much action into one book, she will certainly not disappoint me in the next two.