jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) - Maggie Stiefvater,  Will Patton This book was a departure for me. I try and stick with dystopia. But Maggie Steifvater enchanted me with the Mercy Falls series, so I had to give this a read. It involves psychics and spells and ghosts and the sorts of things I avoid.

That said, it was an interesting read (that's 3.75 stars up there). It took awhile to grab me; all the foundational stuff got somewhat tedious. But it proved to be worth it. The mystery was complex and unpredictable.

I liked the characters a lot, especially Noah. Ronan was also a favorite. Gansey was not what I expected he'd be; he tended to stay within the confines of the preconceived notions of the other characters. I thought he would depart from the typical rich kid thing. He didn't. Adam, while multi-faceted, wasn't one that I liked. I'm not sure why.

I did like Blue. Her crazy family was great entertainment, and provided most of the wit in the book. Her mother's hands-off approach reminded me of Grace's parents in Mercy Falls. But in this case, it made me laugh.

Honestly, the whole idea of a group of friends on an adventure was probably the best part of the book. The pacing was slower than I would have liked. And the plot in general was not what I expected. If you're expecting romance, then you should know that this story has virtually none. It doesn't need it.

This is a mystery, a plot that is a complicated puzzle. I'm not sure I'll continue with the series, but that's just because all this supernatural stuff really isn't my thing. For those that do like that genre, this is a good story that is worth the trouble. There's a great payoff at the end.