jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
Shiver  - Maggie Stiefvater, Jenna Lamia, David LeDoux I probably shouldn't do a review 10 minutes after I've finished a book; on the one hand, it is fresh in my mind. On the other hand, I haven't had time to process it.

I have never read (and do not intend to read) Twilight. I have no interest in vampires or werewolves. But this didn't read like a werewolf story to me. It was more like a disease, a condition. None of the cliche things about werewolves. In fact, the very reason I didn't read it until now was that I thought it was just a werewolf story. I'm glad a good friend recommended it.

And what a love story! First off, Grace - with an engineer's detached view of the world, all logic and reason. How refreshing to find a main character who wasn't all gaga over some boy. She was bold and decided about what she wanted. I really liked the way she viewed the world.

And Sam, well, we're all in love with Sam, aren't we? I think this is because he's so real, somewhat insecure, passionate about life but not at all in a way that consumed him. Just a regular guy coping with an extraordinary situation in the best way he can. He has flaws. He's scared.

These characters were not at all flat, but had dimension and depth. The emotions that the story evoked felt real, not contrived. I actually thought Grace's parents were kind of cool until I began to realise, right along with her, how distant they were.

I think that Stiefvater gave us just enough of everything. Enough suspense, enough background, enough detail. I loved this story. I can't wait to read Linger.