jenwesner

Today in Jen's Library

Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy, #3)
Ilsa J. Bick
Time Between Us
Tamara Ireland Stone
The Message: The New Testament, Mass Market Edition
My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick, Amy Rubinate I expected a light-hearted romance with this story. But what I got was more weighty and a bit more complicated. It's always nice when that happens, and what is otherwise a fluff book takes on a deeper identity. I'd compare this to The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Debut author, great story, certainly more than meets the eye.

The characters were believable. The romance is sweet, and more so because it is more realistic. I loved it when Samantha is describing an awkward situation, and she says that in books and movies things are so perfect - but real life is quite different. The nice thing is that while that particular situation could be embarrassing for both characters, they instead move through it and take it one step at a time.

The pacing seemed to stall a bit towards the end. The ending, while not really leaving any loose ends, was pretty ambiguous. I'm not sure it needed to be more than what it was, though. The fact that it wasn't a neat black-and-white predictable ending didn't bother me, because it felt more like real life. Things were resolved.

There were several scenes that were just out-and-out comical. I found myself laughing out loud. And while it never made me cry, there was enough tension for me to want the characters to take action.

The audio of this is done by Amy Rubinate, who also did The Selection and The Elite by Keira Cass. I didn't like her narration of this story; I think it could have been done better by another narrator. I didn't care at all for the voice she gave Clay. Rubinate just has a specific style that is like an acquired taste, and it didn't fit this story.

Overall, a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll be on the lookout for more from this author.